The clouds darkened. The bill never passed. And the Trump program was nixed or deep-sixed by the Biden administration. End of MCIT - Medicare Coverage for Innovative Technology.
The lawmaking approach to MCIT is back.
- See legislation from DelBene, Wenstrup, and others, press release here.
- March 22, 2023
- Find the legislative text here.
- Find the introduced bill as 2023 HR 1691 here, https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/1691?s=1&r=2
- The bill applies back to FDA approvals on 3/15/2021 or later.
- BT devices are "Deemed" to be reasonable and necessary for 4 years.
- The four years are timed from "update of the payment system" for the device.
- Payment mechanisms may include NTAP (hospital add-on).
- CMS has 3 months to produce a new code for the devices.