The HHS backlog is back in the news in early December, 2017. A court has ordered HHS to clear the backlog "by January 2021," according to Modern Healthcare. 2021 - remember, HHS was claiming it could clear the back log in a couple years, in 2014.
A detailed article with numerous links to legal documents was published by Kristin Walter at McKnight's on December 9.
- McKnight article on the backlog, here. Citations therein include:
- HHS brief in appeal, 29pp, here.
- The court's opinion, 7p, here.
- For a link to 2015 proposed legislative fix, AFIRM, here.
- For HHS's own 11 page public-facing explanation of the issues, June 2016, here.
- For a response article entitled, "Feds Peddling Fiction on Medicare Appeals," here.
- Coverage at Reuters here, at Becker's Hospital Review, here.
- Medicare awarded new RAC contracts in November, here.