On January 9, 2023, MOLDX released transcripts (and YouTube files showing PPT) of its October 2023 open meeting on proposed LCDs.
Here are the topics:
See video files and transcripts at the link at top of this blog.
For fun, I asked Claude.ai to make a 300 word summary.
The transcript is from an open meeting hosted by Palmetto GBA's MolDX program regarding proposed local coverage determinations (LCDs) for molecular diagnostic tests.
Five speakers presented on the topics of gene expression profiling tests for prostate cancer, molecular biomarkers for lung and thyroid nodules, and Percepta's genomic classifier test. The speakers generally expressed support for the proposed LCDs, which aim to establish Medicare coverage criteria for these types of molecular tests.
Specific recommendations included:
- removing the requirement for a bronchoscopy procedure to allow coverage of tests prior to biopsy for lung nodule risk stratification;
- clarifying that coverage can include patients at low or high risk of cancer, not just intermediate risk;
- allowing coverage of testing for additional thyroid nodules in patients with multinodular goiters;
- using molecular test results for Bethesda 5 thyroid nodules to guide optimal surgical treatment; and
- ensuring coverage of new lesions during disease progression for prostate cancer patients.
The speakers emphasized the clinical utility of molecular testing to avoid unnecessary procedures, reduce delays in cancer treatment, and optimize patient management. They requested modifications to make the proposed LCDs more general to enable coverage of emerging molecular tests that can meet validity and utility requirements.